List:Cluster« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tomas Ulin Date:August 27 2004 9:51am
Subject:ALL READ [was: adding ndb nodes?]
View as plain text
all,

I feel an urge to break in here so as not to cause confusion.

Today (will change some day) you can not change the number of nodes
on-line,  we've just added verifications for this in the code because
doing this will cause the system to break eventually.

Hence to upgrade:
1) make backup
2) shutdown your old cluster
3) bring new cluster up
4) restore

What you've managed to to by going from 4 to 8 on-line will (maybe) work
if you don't create new tables...  and anyways the data will not have
redistributed itself in going from 4 to 8, all the data will still be
located on the 4 first nodes (you should be able to see this if you do a
load test...).

An online upgrade path will look like follows:

4-node version 4.x -> 4-node version 5.y -> 8-node version 5.z

BR,

Tomas

Devananda wrote:

> I'll give it a test run tomorrow, but I'm fairly sure that you do not
> need (or want) to do #1 or #5. backing up beforehand is of course a
> good idea. At minimum,what needs to happen for the cluster
> configuration to change, change the config.ini (while everything is
> running is fine), then the next 3 steps I'm not sure what order to do
> in - start up the new DB nodes (they wont be able to join the cluster
> at this point) then restart the MGM node (then the new nodes will join
> the cluster) then restart the old nodes, one at a time; or, restart
> the mgm node first, so it rereads the config file, then startup the
> new nodes then restart the old, or restart mgm, restart old, start up
> new nodes.
>
> However, the dev's may well correct me on all this ;) I've just been
> experimenting alot! hehehe...
>
> Devananda
> Neopets, Inc
>

> Crouch, Luke H. wrote:
>
>> the MySQL guys might correct me on some of this, but to rebuild the
>> node with more db nodes, I think you would have to follow this
>> procedure...
>>
>> 0. Use management node to create a global backup
>> 1. Use management node to shut down all the db nodes
>> 2. Shut down the management node
>> 3. Change the config.ini file to include the new DB nodes
>> 4. Bring up the management node
>> 5. Bring up each of the db nodes with ndbd -i
>> 6. Use the management node to restore from the global backup
>>
>> that's the process as I understand it to be...?
>>
>> -L

>>> 2) Start the new nodes
>>> 3) restart the existing db and api nodes one by one
>>> 4) magically new nodes start getting new inserts.
>>>
>>> Or is it more complex than that?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -cb
>>>

>>> --

adding ndb nodes?Clint Byrum26 Aug
  • Re: adding ndb nodes?Devananda26 Aug
RE: adding ndb nodes?Luke H. Crouch26 Aug
  • Re: adding ndb nodes?Devananda27 Aug
    • ALL READ [was: adding ndb nodes?]Tomas Ulin27 Aug
      • Re: ALL READ [was: adding ndb nodes?]Devananda27 Aug
        • Re: ALL READ [was: adding ndb nodes?]tulin27 Aug
      • Re: ALL READ [was: adding ndb nodes?]Clint Byrum27 Aug
    • Re: adding ndb nodes?Mikael Ronström27 Aug
RE: adding ndb nodes?Luke H. Crouch26 Aug
RE: ALL READ [was: adding ndb nodes?]Alex Wheeler27 Aug
RE: ALL READ [was: adding ndb nodes?]Luke H. Crouch27 Aug