List:Cluster« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martin Skold Date:August 11 2004 6:39pm
Subject:Re: Retrieval architecture diagram?
View as plain text

Clint Byrum wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 01:14, Martin Skold wrote:
>

>>Hi!
>>
>> From the MySQL server instance the retrieval process is identical from
>>any other storage engine (such as InnoDB). The storage engines currently
>>do not do any query processing, only row/column based operations.
>>In the Ndb Cluster storage engine scans on full tables or ordered indexes
>>are executed in parallel on all the involved nodes.
>>
>>We are looking to add capabillities to push part of queries down into the
>>Ndb Cluster storage engine (this is already supported by the storage engine
>>where simple scan filters can limit the amount of data sent back to the
>>server
>>greatly). We are also planning to look at distributed query
>>optimization/processing,
>>but this is future work.
>>

>Martin, Mikael, thank you for your responses. This clears things up a
>lot for me. If this mail sounds negative, please don't take it that way.
>I am trying to be constructive. :-D
>
>I will say that this kind of disappoints me. NDB has the ability, but
>MySQL Cluster does not take advantage of the elegant model of doing
>query restriction at each node. This clears up for me why Gigabit and/or
>SCI is recommended. That said, for non-search reads, it will be *smokin*
>fast even for an ENORMOUS database.
>
>Too bad thats already pretty darn fast with indexes. For any sort of
>searching (WHERE recordtype=foo), its just going to be an ordered scan
>of the indexes and send *everything* back to the MySQL server. Right?

Not exactly, if you have an ordered index you will do a range scan when
possible
and only send back what is found in the range (including equality
searches). This
means that if you plan to do particular searches you can optimize
greatly by adding
ordered indexes (at the cost of maintaining them of course).
And as I said the storage engine supports defining predicate filters for
all scans (ordered
and full table scans), so as soon as we have implemented support for
using these in the handler
most scans will only send back a fraction of the rows back to the MySQL
server, but for
now use ordered indexes if you want better search performance.
BTW: primary keys and unique indexes create additional ordered indexes
already (unless
you specify you don't want them with USING HASH).

BR
-- Martin

--
Martin Sköld, Software Engineer
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

Thread
Retrieval architecture diagram?Clint Byrum11 Aug
  • Re: Retrieval architecture diagram?Mikael Ronström11 Aug
  • Re: Retrieval architecture diagram?Martin Skold11 Aug
    • Re: Retrieval architecture diagram?Clint Byrum11 Aug
      • Re: Retrieval architecture diagram?Martin Skold11 Aug