List:Cluster« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Magnus Svensson Date:August 3 2004 8:40am
Subject:Re: Building a cluster with a slow and a fast machine...
View as plain text
On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 17:34, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:
> Systems:
> * PowerMac with dual   G4 533MHz CPU's, 1GB RAM, SCSI drives
> * Powermac with single G3 240MHz CPU, 264MB RAM, SCSI drives
> * Yellow Dog Linux-3.0.1 [Redhat clone]
> * mysql-4.1 from BK tree 28July04

> Question:
>
> What can be done to improve cluster startup when clustering two machines
> with drastically different resource/performance characteristics?

> I am running a two replica, four node cluster on two PowerMacs. One
> machine is considerably faster than the other:
>
> [Slow G3 machine]
> # cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> cpu             : 740/750
> revision        : 2.2 (pvr 0008 0202)
> bogomips        : 478.41
> machine         : PowerMac,NuBus
> motherboard     : PDM MacRISC
> detected as     : 0 (<NULL>)
> pmac flags      : 00000000
> memory          : 264MB

Hi,

I believe memory is your main problem here. Running a four node cluster,
where 2 ndb nodes is running with only 264MB is just too little. I guess
the problems you see are related to swapping?

If you want to continúe running with this setup, I would recomend using
a two node cluster, and thus only one node would have to run on each
machine, or why not run all nodes on the fast machine? You can try out
the HA features by stopping and starting the individual processes just
as you would if they were on two different machines.

Also you will have to decrease memory consumtion of the nodes by
decreasing the settings of DataMemory, IndexMemory and
MacNoOfConcurrentOperations in config.ini

Also keep in mind that the load will be evenly spread on all machines in
the cluster, so the slow machine will impact performance on the whole
cluster.

Best regards
Magnus

--
Magnus Svensson, Software Engineer
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

Thread
Building a cluster with a slow and a fast machine...Ph.D. Joseph E. Sacco29 Jul
  • Re: Building a cluster with a slow and a fast machine...Magnus Svensson3 Aug
    • Re: Building a cluster with a slow and a fast machine...Ph.D. Joseph E. Sacco3 Aug