List:Cluster« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jonas Oreland Date:July 14 2004 8:21pm
Subject:Re: Memory requirements for cluster (linux) ?
View as plain text
Thorn Roby wrote:
> So is the issue that the system needs to have sufficient memory to avoid
> high paging rates, not that it has to have enough RAM to load the entire
> database into memory? In other words, if I have a low transaction rate,
> I might still be able to support a database larger than available RAM?

No,

currently _all_ data needs to be in RAM.
But we're however working on also storing data on disk.
Hopefully there will be something in alpha during this fall/winter.

/Jonas

> I'm particularly thinking of a situation where the database is large but
> only a small part of it is likely to be active.
> Brancaleoni Matteo wrote:
>
>> as far as I've understood, the storage nodes needs lots of ram.
>> as a rule of thumb, 2.5 (or 3) times the max size of
>> your database stored. is very important that your storage nodes
>> doesn't start
>> swapping at all, or all the sync & replicas could
>> get "out of sync"
>>
>> Matteo.
>>
>> P.S. search also the ML, there's some better answer to that.

Thread
Memory requirements for cluster (linux) ?Thorn Roby10 Jul
Re: Memory requirements for cluster (linux) ?Thorn Roby12 Jul
  • Re: Memory requirements for cluster (linux) ?Jonas Oreland14 Jul