List:Cluster« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Brancaleoni Matteo Date:November 3 2004 7:39pm
Subject:Re: Followup: New important section in manual
View as plain text
Hi,

> So here are the questions:
>
>     0. /Are you using/considering using MySQL Cluster for production,
> reasearch, fun?  And if still considering, in what timeframe?/
production, within next 6 months
(already tried, but far to be very usable)

>    1. /What application or type of application are you using/intending
>       to use MySQL
>       Cluster for?  E.g.
>       /
>     * Telecom Operations
>     * Real-time subscriber information/profiles/authentication (Catalog
>       Lookups, login/pwd, HLR databases)
>     * Real-time billing information (usage records produced when a user
>       uses a service, e.g. VOIP calls, CDRs)
>     * Dynamic state data for online systems (session management)
>     * Web applications (e-Commerce site, online shopping carts)
>     * Real-Time Data Access for Finance (real-time financial information
>       e.g. stock info,trading info, position info)
>     * Real-Time Systems Monitoring (log aggregation, looking for
>       patterns/particular values on a very dynamic datastore)
>     * or other. What if so?
We will use it for Telecom ops, VOIP systems, that includes
real time billing, real time subscriber informations.
And also for ecommerce, related to selling VOIP traffic.

>    2. /What are the most important characteristics of your application (high
>       availability, response time, scalability)?/

	A. availability
	B. response time
	C. scalability
	(in this exact order)

>    3.
>
> /If you are considering MySQL Cluster and this is an existing application;
> What database are you currently	using?
> What critical database features are you using?
> What features are missing in the current database?/

	Mysql-standard

	Replication, hot backup

	Symmetric replication, stored procedures

>    4.
>
> Why are you using/considering MySQL Cluster (HA, performance, low-cost,
> 	platform support, packaged solution)?
	because HA, because scalability, because runs on linux :)

>    5.
>
> /Are there any specific performance metrics you needed/are trying to meet?/
>
>     *
we have some very complex queries, lot of joins + subselects + float
calcs that need to be < 1msec to execute. We plan to have something
like ~4000 of this queries/sec

> /Transaction volume :/
>
>     *
>
> /Read/write ratio : /
>

>    6.
>
> /Do you have any specific HA metric expectations or requirements?/
sub second failover. queries should never fail :)

>    7.
>
> /What is the size of your database? /
>
>     *
>
> /GBytes:/
~ 4GB, up to 12

>     *
>
> /Number of tables:/
>
>     *
~ 70

> /Rows:/
most tables have <1000 rows.
but 4 can have up to 100K
and 2 up to 50millions

>    8.
>
> /What platforms do you need to support for?  (hardware, CPU, operating system,
> other software)?/

linux, on intel / amd dual/quad solutions

>    9.
>
> /What other databases are you considering?/
No one.

>   10.
>
> /What issues have been encountered while you've been using MySQL Cluster so far?/

all known limitation due to memory size. having the tables
also on disk is a great +

> What version are you using (version, own build, built yourself)?

don't remeber exactly, was june more or less, built myself

> Installation issues:
ip -> hosts mappings

>   11.
>
> /Anything keeping you from continuing development and/or deploying on MySQL
> Cluster? (usability, stability, performance, features)/
stability, features.
>   12.
>
> /Are there any critical features that MySQL Cluster does not support that's
> keeping you from solving your problem? (Foreign Keys, Joins, Disk-based
> data,	Replication, BLOBs, etc)/
disk based data (for more security, less ram)
blobs!
Joins (very important!!!)
subselects (very important +++++) (as latest testing, in june)
replications (not really)

>   14.
>
> /Can you comment on the documentation?/
as latest tests, was missing mainly :)
but with the help from the mailing list, there
wasn't any need for docs!
mysql staff support was very appreciated.

>   15.
>
> /What additions or changes to MySQL Cluster would be required in the short
> 	term (next 3-6 months to take it into production)? /
make it as mysql-standard, but clustered :)

>   16.
>
> /What  are the aspects of MySQL Cluster that are particularly suitable for your
> application and have they worked well?/
HA, scalability, no single point of failure
In telecom world this is very important

>     Other Comments?
bring it up. is a very rocking product.
in these days where VOIP is growing, a clustered solution
like that could make the difference.

> Thank you very much for your input,

thank you for all that efforts.

> Tomas Ulin

matteo Brancaleoni

--
Brancaleoni Matteo <mbrancaleoni@stripped>
Espia Srl

Thread
New important section in manualTomas Ulin3 Nov
  • Followup: New important section in manualTomas Ulin3 Nov
    • Re: Followup: New important section in manualBrancaleoni Matteo3 Nov
  • Re: New important section in manualDevananda5 Nov
    • Re: New important section in manualTomas Ulin5 Nov
RE: New important section in manualQC/EMC)6 Nov
  • Re: New important section in manualMartin Skold8 Nov