List:Cluster« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tomas Ulin Date:November 3 2004 9:11pm
Subject:Followup: New important section in manual
View as plain text
Hi All,

I'm now following up my previous mail.

We're in the midst af planning for the development next year, what goes
into 5.0, 5.1 and so on.  We want to make sure we catch as much as
possible of what you, our users, want out of MySQL Cluster.

You have the link with limitations in 4.1:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/MySQL_Cluster_Limitations_in_4.1.html
and _no_ more features will go into 4.1, there will only be bug fixing
and fixing performance related issues (those that deemed not to endanger
the stability).

So to make sure we get as close as possible to releasing what you need
we would really appreciate if you can take some time to answer the 17
questions below (feel free to skip any, but the more input we get, the
better we can provide you with what you need).  Send it as a reply to
this mail, to the cluster list, or to me as you please. And feel free to
add any additional input that you might think of.

So here are the questions:

    0. /Are you using/considering using MySQL Cluster for production,
reasearch, fun?  And if still considering, in what timeframe?/

   1. /What application or type of application are you using/intending
      to use MySQL
      Cluster for?  E.g.
      /

    * Telecom Operations
    * Real-time subscriber information/profiles/authentication (Catalog
      Lookups, login/pwd, HLR databases)
    * Real-time billing information (usage records produced when a user
      uses a service, e.g. VOIP calls, CDRs)
    * Dynamic state data for online systems (session management)
    * Web applications (e-Commerce site, online shopping carts)
    * Real-Time Data Access for Finance (real-time financial information
      e.g. stock info,trading info, position info)
    * Real-Time Systems Monitoring (log aggregation, looking for
      patterns/particular values on a very dynamic datastore)
    * or other. What if so?

   2. /What are the most important characteristics of your application (high
      availability, response time, scalability)?/

        A.
        B.
        C.

   3.

/If you are considering MySQL Cluster and this is an existing application;
What database are you currently	using?
What critical database features are you using?
What features are missing in the current database?/

   4.

Why are you using/considering MySQL Cluster (HA, performance, low-cost,
	platform support, packaged solution)?

   5.

/Are there any specific performance metrics you needed/are trying to meet?/

    *

/Transaction volume :/

    *

/Read/write ratio : /

   6.

/Do you have any specific HA metric expectations or requirements?/

   7.

/What is the size of your database? /

    *

/GBytes:/

    *

/Number of tables:/

    *

/Rows:/

   8.

/What platforms do you need to support for?  (hardware, CPU, operating system,
other software)?/

   9.

/What other databases are you considering?/

  10.

/What issues have been encountered while you've been using MySQL Cluster so far?/

What version are you using (version, own build, built yourself)?

Installation issues:

Configuration issues:

Setup issues:

Bugs encountered:

Documentation issues:

  11.

/Anything keeping you from continuing development and/or deploying on MySQL
Cluster? (usability, stability, performance, features)/

  12.

/Are there any critical features that MySQL Cluster does not support that's
keeping you from solving your problem? (Foreign Keys, Joins, Disk-based
data,	Replication, BLOBs, etc)/

  13.

/What are the other MySQL Cluster pain points you can think of?/

  14.

/Can you comment on the documentation?/

  15.

/What additions or changes to MySQL Cluster would be required in the short
	term (next 3-6 months to take it into production)? /

  16.

/What  are the aspects of MySQL Cluster that are particularly suitable for your
application and have they worked well?/

    Other Comments?

        *

Thank you very much for your input,

Tomas Ulin

Tomas Ulin wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to draw your attention to a new section in the manual on the
> "MySQL Cluster Limitations in 4.1" that might be of interest to all:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/MySQL_Cluster_Limitations_in_4.1.html
>
> Please bookmark, read, think and provide feedback.
>

> Also,
>
> A couple of months back I posted a question about "Production usage of
> MySQL Cluster?".
>
> I got some good feedback from some users that I'd like to share as
> well and comment on.
> The following issues/items were raised (all relevant ones of them are
> also mentioned also in the
> manual section above):
>
> * Case insensitivity in LIKE compares
> Supported as of 4.1.6 (introduced collation)
>
> * NULLs in indices
> Supported from 4.1.6
>
> * Add and remove nodes without restarting the cluster
> This is not supported.  Most other configuration parameters can be
> upgraded on-line. It will not be supported in 5.0.
>
> * Disk-based NDB tables
> We're working on it, althogh we will no have it for 5.0.
>
> * 100% compliance with the set of MySQL-style SQL commands
> This is the plan and we're working on it, but not quite there.  4.1
> will not be fully complient,
> (see list in manual section above).
>
> * Char Sets (UTF8)
> Support for some from 4.1.6
>
> * Referential Integrity
> No support. Possibly in 5.0.
>
> * Fully searchable indexes (WHERE NAME LIKE 'c%')
> Supported, please provide feedback on constructs that you see fuction
> in a wrong way.
> The construct above results in an index search as it should.
> '%c' will however result in a full table scan.
>
> * Performance when trying to run complicated filtering/joining queries
> We've made quite a few improvements during the fall. See MySQL Cluster
> news section in manual.
> We've scheduled some major improvements for 5.0.
>
> Please take a moment to think about what your're missing, having
> issues with, regarding cluster.
> I will shortly follow up with a mail with some questions, regarding
> this, to the list.
>

> Thank you all,
>
> Tomas

Thread
New important section in manualTomas Ulin3 Nov
  • Followup: New important section in manualTomas Ulin3 Nov
    • Re: Followup: New important section in manualBrancaleoni Matteo3 Nov
  • Re: New important section in manualDevananda5 Nov
    • Re: New important section in manualTomas Ulin5 Nov
RE: New important section in manualQC/EMC)6 Nov
  • Re: New important section in manualMartin Skold8 Nov