List:Database Benchmarks« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Zaitsev Date:April 6 2005 8:14pm
Subject:Re: ext3, ext2, vfat performance on RedHat Enterprise 4
View as plain text
On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 12:46, Bas Meijer wrote:
> Dear Speedfreaks,
>
> Today I re-ran the filesystem tests on RehHat EL 4.
> To get accurate results I went for "ceteris paribus":
> same hardware, same disk sectors, same binaries, same config,
> same order of steps. Everything the same except filesystem for database,
> now on RHEL4.
>
> The testscript below was executed with the three filesystems available
> on
> RedHat Enterprise 4 which was installed for this test. Each time a newly
> created filesystem was populated with a clean mysql database after that
> a sysbench test was run (first result were noted to eliminate cache
> effects).
>
> CONCLUSION: RedHat does not offer the MySQL friendly journaling
> filesystems:
> reiserfs, jfs, xfs; ext3's journaling is bad for mysql performance,
> yesterdays
> tests on Suse showed that the other journaling filesystems perform
> better.
>

> RESULTS             unit  ext3    ext2   vfat   average
> restore time        secs  889.7   819.9  982.5  897.4
> create 2mln myisam  secs   38.5    35.5   75.7   49.9
> create 1mln myisam  secs   17.8    17.2   34.4   23.1
> create 1mln innodb  secs   90.1    65.5  122.3   92.6
> create 1mln bdb     secs   18.7    17.8   36.4   24.3
> overall write score       103.1%  113.8%  86.9%

Hi,

This is very interesting.  EXT3 on RedHat kernel is significantly faster
than one on SuSE, at least for restore.   It goes more inline with
performance of reiserfs/XFS on SuSE.

What is about disk schedulers ? Are they the same in these case ?

--
Peter Zaitsev, Senior Performance Engineer
Come to hear my talk at MySQL UC 2005  http://www.mysqluc.com/

Thread
ext3, ext2, vfat performance on RedHat Enterprise 4Bas Meijer6 Apr
  • Re: ext3, ext2, vfat performance on RedHat Enterprise 4Peter Zaitsev6 Apr
    • Re: ext3, ext2, vfat performance on RedHat Enterprise 4Bas Meijer7 Apr
Re: ext3, ext2, vfat performance on RedHat Enterprise 4Bas Meijer7 Apr
  • Re: ext3, ext2, vfat performance on RedHat Enterprise 4Peter Zaitsev8 Apr