List:Backup« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ingo Strüwing Date:November 3 2009 8:28pm
Subject:sloppy commits
View as plain text
Dear team members,

lately I've seen an increasing number of commits that miss due care.
Added end-space, scrambled indentation even in existing lines, seemingly
forgotten runs of the test suite, etc.

I understand that we need to work quickly, but that should not mean hasty.

It is not the reviewer's task to summarize basic violations of coding
style or work style. The implementor has to take basic measures to avoid
such problems before committing:

- Look through all differences.
- Run the full test suite.
- Check for (new) compiler warnings in the touched source files.
- Check test coverage of code lines.

That way the reviewer can spend more attention to possible "real" problems.

Regards
Ingo
--
Ingo Strüwing, Database Group
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder,   Wolfgang Engels,   Wolf Frenkel