List:Backup« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ingo Strüwing Date:October 22 2009 6:08pm
Subject:Re: WL#5046 (PLuggable Storage Modules) - HLS updated
View as plain text
Hi Rafal,

Rafal Somla, 22.10.2009 13:40:

> Ingo Strüwing wrote:
>> Rafal Somla, 14.10.2009 14:34:
> 1. I think that doing backup location management using (non-standard)
> SQL statements is a rather bad idea and I think it is unlikely we will
> ever go that way.

An INFORMATION_SCHEMA.BACKUP_LOCATIONS table won't break SQL
compatibility too much, IMHO.

> 2. I think that from business perspective, it is good strategy to
> implement only core tools in the free code and then have opportunity to
> sell applications which make managing the system easier.
>
> My vision is that some day "MySQL Administrator" will be extended with
> backup functionality. It will have its infrastructure for managing
> backups including managing backup locations, backup scheduling etc. It
> will have nice GUI for performing all these tasks. Under the hood it
> will connect to server and use our BACKUP/RESTORE statements to perform
> the operations. The tool will keep track of backup locations and provide
> correct location strings to these statements.

But then it will have to do so, bypassing the server. This means that
the storage modules need a second API for management purposes.

Regards
Ingo
--
Ingo Strüwing, Database Group
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder,   Wolfgang Engels,   Wolf Frenkel
    • RE: WL#5046 (PLuggable Storage Modules) - HLS updatedAndreas Almroth15 Oct
  • Re: WL#5046 (PLuggable Storage Modules) - HLS updatedIngo Strüwing15 Oct
    • RE: WL#5046 (PLuggable Storage Modules) - HLS updatedAndreas Almroth15 Oct
  • Re: WL#5046 (PLuggable Storage Modules) - HLS updatedIngo Strüwing15 Oct
    • Re: WL#5046 (PLuggable Storage Modules) - HLS updatedRafal Somla22 Oct
      • Re: WL#5046 (PLuggable Storage Modules) - HLS updatedIngo Strüwing22 Oct
        • RE: WL#5046 (PLuggable Storage Modules) - HLS updatedAndreas Almroth22 Oct
        • Re: WL#5046 (PLuggable Storage Modules) - HLS updatedRafal Somla23 Oct
  • Re: WL#5046 (PLuggable Storage Modules) - HLS updatedIngo Strüwing23 Oct