List:Backup« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ingo Strüwing Date:October 15 2009 2:43pm
Subject:Re: WL#5046 (PLuggable Storage Modules) - HLS updated
View as plain text
Hi Andreas,

Andreas Almroth, 15.10.2009 16:02:

> Why duplicate functionality? Why add support for compression and encryption in backup
> kernel, as well as in the BSMs? We have to make an design decision that either we only
> allow the backup kernel to do it, or only allow the BSMs to do it. My opinion is clear
> from above, leave it to the BSMs, let the storage systems do what they are good at.

This must be a misunderstanding. I just wanted to say: Before
implementing compression and encryption with KMS in every storage module
again and again, we better do it in the kernel.

If all storage modules, where users are interested in such features do
already have them, there is nothing we need to implement. Neither here
nor there.

But if, for example, we need an encryption for a plain file storage, and
also for a socket tunnel, and we can't just use existing functions, why
implement it twice in the storage modules?

BTW, we have already implemented [g]zip compression in the backup kernel
and SQL syntax for using it. If every storage module would have its own
compression, the different syntax for activating it might become
confusing. OTOH, we could also abandon the kernel compression.

Anyway, if we can agree on specifying compression/encryption/... via the
location string, we can leave away the "Set compression algorithm"
service and defer the decision about where/how to implement these extra
features to later.

Regards
Ingo

--
Ingo Strüwing, Database Group
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder,   Wolfgang Engels,   Wolf Frenkel
    • RE: WL#5046 (PLuggable Storage Modules) - HLS updatedAndreas Almroth15 Oct
  • Re: WL#5046 (PLuggable Storage Modules) - HLS updatedIngo Strüwing15 Oct
    • RE: WL#5046 (PLuggable Storage Modules) - HLS updatedAndreas Almroth15 Oct
  • Re: WL#5046 (PLuggable Storage Modules) - HLS updatedIngo Strüwing15 Oct
    • Re: WL#5046 (PLuggable Storage Modules) - HLS updatedRafal Somla22 Oct
      • Re: WL#5046 (PLuggable Storage Modules) - HLS updatedIngo Strüwing22 Oct
        • RE: WL#5046 (PLuggable Storage Modules) - HLS updatedAndreas Almroth22 Oct
        • Re: WL#5046 (PLuggable Storage Modules) - HLS updatedRafal Somla23 Oct
  • Re: WL#5046 (PLuggable Storage Modules) - HLS updatedIngo Strüwing23 Oct