List:Backup« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ingo Strüwing Date:September 22 2009 2:28pm
Subject:Re: MOM-BACKUP-090901 action items closed - decision required
View as plain text
Hi Rafal,

Rafal Somla, 22.09.2009 11:23:

> No, I did not understand your suggestion completely. Indeed, for each
> table there is extra_data field in the metadata record for that table
> and it could be used for storing AUTO_INCREMENT value. Then the general
> handling of AUTO_INCREMENT could be implemented without changing current
> image format. In that case I think it is a better alternative than my
> suggestion.

I was so happy that I could make a point. However, I stumbled over a
problem, which might invalidate it.

Since backup shall work "online", the auto_increment value can change
while the backup is going on. The only safe moment to grab the value
would be the lock phase. The meta data section is written before table
data backup does even start.

I just wonder if the default and cs drivers lock the tables from changes
before or after the meta data section is written. If they do it before,
my idea could be modified to require auto_increment value backup from
the native drivers and do it in meta data only for the default and cs
drivers. If not, we need to go with your suggestion.

Regards
Ingo
--
Ingo Strüwing, Database Group
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder,   Wolfgang Engels,   Wolf Frenkel
      • Re: MOM-BACKUP-090901 action items closed - decision requiredRafal Somla22 Sep
        • Re: MOM-BACKUP-090901 action items closed - decision requiredIngo Strüwing22 Sep
          • Re: MOM-BACKUP-090901 action items closed - decision requiredRafal Somla23 Sep