List:Backup« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ingo Strüwing Date:March 31 2010 1:24pm
Subject:Question regarding InnoDB Hot Backup Features
View as plain text
Hi Pekka,

on http://www.innodb.com/products/hot-backup/features/, I read:
"High performance — backup time is comparable to file copy, applying
logs for recovery is even faster."

While I have an idea, what "comparable to file copy" means, namely about
the same time as copying a file from the file system where the backup
file is to the file system, where the tablespace is, I don't quite get,
what "applying logs for recovery is even faster" means.

If one applies logs for recovery, one reads the log file and applies the
contents to the tables. The latter takes place in a cache mainly. So the
equivalent for a file copy would mean to copy the log file to a memory
file system. Does InnoDB Hot Backup indeed apply the log faster than that?

Regards
Ingo
--
Ingo Strüwing, Database Group
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder                 HRB München 161028