List:Backup« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rafal Somla Date:December 3 2009 1:59pm
Subject:Re: HUGE Database backup/import
View as plain text
Hi,

Whether copying database dir will work or not depends on the storage engine
you use to store your data. If it is MyISAM (the default) then I think it
should work. It might also work for other engines. But I don't have
practical experience with this. You might find useful information here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.4/en/backup-and-recovery.html.

Cheers,
Rafal

Steven Staples wrote:
> Hi there.   I just subscribed to this list, but I have a few questions.
>
> I have been running a MySQL server on my desktop, to import a LOT of data,
> so that I don't bog down the server (it's been running the import for about
> 12 days, and I have another 12 or so to go).   My question is putting this
> onto the server where it will be hosted.   I've done some preliminary tests,
> and it seems like I can just copy the files into the
> /var/lib/myql/{database}/ directory on the server (which is running Debian,
> and my desktop is XP) and it seems to work just fine.
>
> Is this a good way to do it?   Or should I run the mysqldump commands, and
> then mysqlimport?
>
> My other question, is doing the actual backups.   There are at least 150-200
> tables in the database, that for the most part, only 2 or so should be
> updated, but there is hte possibility that more tables can get created, and
> the others could be updated, so backing them up could be a very long
> process.   Would it be ok to just 'copy' the files at specified intervals,
> and then make backups from that?  (rename the database and then run all the
> mysqlbackup commands on there) or could there be a problems with file
> locking if there is an insert going on at that time?
>
> I am just trying to have the least amount of interruptions or locking of the
> tables as possible, as this is a fairly important database.
>
> I am sure that one of the comments will be to create a cluster, and then
> stop the sync on the slave, and then do the backups, and then start the
> slave back up once it's done, right?
>
> Sorry to be such a scattered typer, my brains been fried for the past month
> or so writing stored procedures and stored functions... lol!
>
> Steven Staples

Thread
HUGE Database backup/importSteven Staples3 Dec
  • Re: HUGE Database backup/importRafal Somla3 Dec
    • RE: HUGE Database backup/importSteven Staples3 Dec
  • Re: HUGE Database backup/importIngo Strüwing3 Dec