List:Announcements« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Reggie Burnett Date:July 18 2012 1:48am
Subject:MySQL Connector/Net 6.6.0 Alpha has been released
View as plain text
MySQL Connector/Net 6.6.0, a new version of the all-managed .NET driver
for MySQL has been released.  This is the first of two alpha releases
intended to introduce users to the new features in the release.  This
release is not feature complete and there are significant limitations
but it should be stable enough for users to understand the new features
and how we expect them to work.  As is the case with all non-GA
releases, it should not be used in any production environment.  It is
appropriate for use with MySQL server versions 5.0-5.6

It is now available in source and binary form from
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/net/#downloads and mirror sites
(note that not all mirror sites may be up to date at this point-if you
can't find this version on some mirror, please try again later or choose
another download site.)

The 6.6 version of MySQL Connector/Net brings the following new features:

  * Stored procedure debugging
  * Entity Framework 4.3 Code First support
  * Pluggable authentication (not available in this alpha)

Stored Procedure Debugging
We are very excited to introduce stored procedure debugging into our
Visual Studio integration.  It works in a very intuitive manner by
simply clicking 'Debug Routine' from Server Explorer.  As mentioned
above, there are currently many limitations in the implementation. These
limitations are being resolved for future alpha and beta releases.  The
limitations include:

  * Can only debug stored procedures.  Functions and triggers will be
    enabled in a future build.
  * Intellisense is currently not enabled in the debugger window.
  * Some MySQL functions cannot be debugged currently (get_lock,
    release_lock, begin, commit, rollback, set transaction level)
  * Only 5.1 grammar is currently supported
  * Only one debug session may be active on a given server
  * The debugger instruments your procedures automatically.  We have
    seen some instances when the original procedure is not restored
    correctly.
  * Evaluating and changing session variables are not supported. Local
    variables in the procedure are supported.
  * Breakpoints are supported however if you put a breakpoint on a line
    where there is no code it will appear as not bound.  This is harmless
  * Conditional breakpoints are not supported
  * When debugging a routine that has parameters the debugger will
    prompt for those values.  It will create session variables out of
    them so you should be careful to not use your own session variables
    that have the same name.
  * When creating a new connection in Server Explorer, please check the
    'Save password' checkbox.

While this list is long, we have already resolved many of these and will
resolve the rest before GA.  Even with these limitations we hope that
you can get a feel for how the product will work and give us feedback.

Documentation
The documentation is still being developed and will be readily available
in time for Beta 1.  You can view current Connector/Net documentation at
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/connector-net.html

You can find our team blog at http://blogs.oracle.com/MySQLOnWindows.
You can also post questions on our forums at http://forums.mysql.com/.

Enjoy and thanks for the support!

Thread
MySQL Connector/Net 6.6.0 Alpha has been releasedReggie Burnett18 Jul