List:Announcements« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:January 12 2000 8:23pm
Subject:WARNING: Problem with MySQL and GRANT
View as plain text
Hi!

We recently found out that MySQL 3.22.x and MySQL 3.23.x has a bug in
the GRANT handling;  Because of this bug anyone with GRANT privilege
can change the password for anyone else (like root) and thus get
access to any MySQL database.

Note that by default the test user has grant privileges set and using this
one can change the root password for root at localhost.  To be 'root'
in MySQL you still need to be able to login to MySQL from localhost.

We have posted a fix for this to the MySQL mailing list and it will be
fixed in MySQL 3.22.30 that will be released later today or tomorrow
morning.  We are also working on releasing 3.23.9, which includes the
same fix, within a few days.

For people that doesn't want to upgrade MySQL, you can always just
remove the GRANT privilege for all users with the following command:

shell> mysql -u root -ppassword mysql
Your MySQL connection id is 2 to server version: 3.23.9-alpha-debug

Type 'help' for help.

mysql> update user set grant_priv="N" where user <> "root";
mysql> update db set grant_priv="N" where user != "root";

Sorry for the trouble.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
WARNING: Problem with MySQL and GRANTMichael Widenius13 Jan